Jason Miller, who was tapped only two days ago to be White House communications director, announced Saturday that he will not join Donald Trump’s administration.
In a statement to POLITICO, Miller said the decision to back out of the job stemmed from a need to spend more time with his family. He noted that he and his wife are expecting their second child next month.
“After spending this past week with my family, the most amount of time I have been able to spend with them since March 2015, it is clear they need to be my top priority right now and this is not the right time to start a new job as demanding as White House communications director,” Miller said. “My wife and I are also excited about the arrival of our second daughter in January, and I need to put them in front of my career.”
Miller, 41, informed top Trump officials of his decision on Friday night, according to a source familiar with the matter.
Saturday’s reversal followed a period of indecision for Miller. He had been encouraged to take the job by a number of top officials, including incoming chief of staff Reince Priebus and chief strategist Steve Bannon. Miller had also weighed taking a more lucrative post in the private sector. Prior to being a senior member of Trump’s campaign staff, Miller worked at Jamestown Associates, a Republican consulting firm that is favored by conservative politicians.
Sean Spicer, who was named to be White House press secretary earlier this week, will take over Miller’s responsibilities as communications director, Miller said.
“I look forward to continuing to support the President-elect from the outside after my work on the transition concludes,” Miller said.
Other members of the White House press team will include longtime Trump staffers Hope Hicks and Dan Scavino.
Before joining the Trump team this summer, Miller advised one of his primary opponents, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.